Monday, March 28, 2011

My Geocaching Nickname

Due to a recent request, I thought I'd share the origin of my geocaching nickname, Treelogeo


It all started back in my geeky jr. high days in Crawfordsville, Indiana...Every weekend, a bunch of friends and I would get together and play Dungeons & Dragons. We were obsessed! In fact, I don't remember very much about school that didn't involve us role-playing in one form or another. One of my best friends, Tom Cole, started an infamous campaign called "Thieves' World". Without further damaging my "coolness factor", let's just say that Treelo was the name of my wood elf character. He was very roguish and a lot of fun to role-play.


You're probably asking how a 42-year-old man can remember and decide to use Treelo as a part of his nickname for geocaching. This brings up the second part of the name. When my daughter, Ellen, was a toddler, she loved the TV show "Bear in the Big Blue House". Her favorite character, a colorful lemur, stole my elf's name! That was also about the same time I started geocaching (which was introduced to me by my father-in-law, Brad Schuldt).


So, I decided to go with the Treelo part to appease my daughter and I felt that it was fitting since we would be trouncing around in the woods like my wood elf. The geo part of the name is just for the geocaching concept. Thus the name Treelogeo!


Now I've lost all credibility as a "cool dude" and firmly planted myself into official "geekdom"!


Treelo
the original rogue wood elf 

(just an idea of what a wood elf is)

Treelo
from
Bear in the Big Blue House

1 comment: