Monday, March 7, 2011

GeoPatch Designed

With my wife's help, we just finished designing the GeoPatch!! Here it is: 


I plan on attaching the patches to Travel Bugs. I'm going to put two patches on each Travel Bug with the idea that the first K-12 student to find it will take one off and keep it. The other patch will continue to travel with the Bug. I'm not sure exactly what the goal of every Travel Bug will be, but several of them will have a goal of traveling to other educational locations. Eventually some of them will make their way back to a geocache that I plan on hiding here in Indiana before I leave for the trip.

My intent is to add one GeoPatch/Travel Bug per day to a cache that we find. I'm also looking into a new GPSr so that we can have at least two for the family. The one that I am looking at is the Garmin 550 or 550t. This GPSr will allow us to do paperless geocaching as well as take pictures to upload to this blog, geocaching.com, and eventually the website that I am creating as the final part of this project.

One of my early goals was to make sure that I was set up for Wi-Fi even when not in a designated hotspot. We were pleasantly surprised to discover that my wife's phone can act as a mobile hotspot. This will allow us to access the web to search for geocaches even when we're driving or in the middle of nowhere.

The next phase is to start planning the route we will take with greater detail, choose the caches we hope to find (knowing that we'll have to be a bit flexible with this), and book our hotels.

3 comments:

  1. Well, I think the patch looks AWESOME!! Haha!! Getting even more excited!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We need to get those Aztecs (Duct Tapes, No Names, etc.) out there to geocache.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geno,

    Agreed!!! Ethan is currently working on his Geocaching MB. He thought he knew everything, but he is finding out differently. :-)

    Troy

    ReplyDelete