Sunday, March 27, 2011

Trying Out the New GPSr with Family & Friends

Since getting the new GPSr on Tuesday (yes, I was slow on getting that last blog post up), I have found 15 new caches. Some of these were found on my own, some with just my son (Ethan), some with Ethan and his friend, Mason, and others yet with the whole family plus some friends that are new to geocaching. By the way, even though I took the friends out when the temperature was less than 40 degrees, I think they're hooked!


With Ethan in Boy Scouts now, he is beginning work on earning his Geocaching Merit Badge. One of the areas that he's learning about (which we have always practiced as a family, but we are discussing more formally now) is CITO...Cache In, Trash Out. CITO means that when you go on a search for a cache, you pick up any trash that you find on the way. What a great way to reinforce Leave No Trace and "leave a place better than you found it"!


Ethan and Thomas (one of the newbies to geocaching)
with a small amount of the trash that was found today!

The official CITO logo



3 comments:

  1. This is great! It gives me an idea of what we can do with Ian's den.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Troy, can you let the group know the origin of the name Treelo...?

    Also, I see Boston on the list. Hope you have time to visit us - lots of history within 1000 yards of our house!

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tom,

    I will definitely add that to my next post! We were thinking about you guys and our tentative itinerary has us spending 5 nights in Boston. We would really love to see you guys!!

    Troy

    ReplyDelete