Wednesday, April 20, 2011

It's Itinerary Time...Well, At Least the First Stop

I know it's been a while since I last posted, but it's spring in the life of a physics teacher...Academic Super Bowl (which we qualified for state!), track, and lots of family stuff (including a run to the ER for my wife - luckily she's "fine" though). My original plan for the blog is to have one or two posts a week up until we leave for the trip and then try to blog daily while on it. I'm sticking to that!


Another goal was to "up" my numbers (and experience) by getting out and geocaching everyday. Since beginning this mission, I have found at least one cache every day...despite rain, snow, cold, hot, and flooding (yes, that's spring in Indiana)! So far, so good and I'm loving every minute of it!!




It's Itinerary Time!


As I promised in the last post, here's the information on the first destination we will visit on our four-week trip. Drum roll, please.....


Cleveland, Ohio

Yes, I said Cleveland. I know what some of you are thinking. What does Cleveland have to do with geocaching, history, and my proposal? Well, Cleveland is the location of The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum. And what discusses our history better than rock music!?! There are also two interesting museums: Great Lakes Science Center and Cleveland Museum of Natural History. Both of these have some great exhibits; we'll decide which one is best when the time draws nearer. I will, of course, also be looking for a good cache to place a travel bug in. So, if any of you have any suggestions for Cleveland, OH (whether it be a museum, location, or cache), please post a comment or e-mail me.

Due to my "fame" from the "PodCacher" podcast, I received an e-mail from a fellow cacher (KDotBlueDot) in Canada. He told me about one of his geocaches that he owns that is really cool. As I promised him, I will not divulge the details or secrets. Suffice it to say, his cache, "Yodel-lay-he-what?!" (GC2FJQT), is a great idea for team-building and also quite creative for geocaching. It can be used in education or I can even see it being used in the business world. Since I will eventually be compiling a bunch of ideas to be used in education using a GPSr, these are exactly the kind of things that I am looking for! Check out this video on creative caches! If you have any interesting cache ideas or educational uses for the GPS, please e-mail or comment on this post.


In the meantime, keep on caching... 




Just posted this and began a search in Ohio for geocaches and came across this event that is being held on the day that we arrive there...it's fate!!! Check it out!

2 comments:

  1. Cleveland!! Awesome!

    I am a friend of Ruth's and a former science teacher. I've never geocached, but I'm geo-curious...

    We live just outside Cleveland, and I have an incredible array of interesting suggestions for you in addition to the "regulars." For example, there are some beautiful county parks nearby that likely have lots of caches, interesting geology and other recreational opportunities. We also live in a college town that has one of Ohio's largest stands of Eastern Beech/Maple forest, which is kind of cool.

    So, make sure we have the chance to spend some time together when you head out here!!

    -Rob

    PS tell Ruth I says "Hi!!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rob,
    We are probably only staying in Cleveland for one day/night... it is the first day of our itinerary. We plan on getting up very early, driving to Cleveland, seeing the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Museum (my son would never forgive us if we didn't)... but then in the afternoon, we will be attending the Geocaching event Ruth found out about (see the italicized part at the end of the post, there's a link). We would love to have you join us for any and/or all of this... especially the geocaching event. You could get a great introduction to the whole game! I'm sure once you start, you will be hooked like us. If you don't have a hand-held GPS (we have 3... you could use one), there are cheap programs that you can download on a smart phone that has a GPS like the iPhone or an Android. I think Ruth facebooked you too, you might want to check it out.

    Thanks for the comment... now, if I could only get more people to comment ;-)

    ~Treelogeo

    ReplyDelete